Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Bringing "Over There" Over Here: How will you respond?

"Nepal is...well, it's poor.  One of the poorest countries in the world, they say.  But it's beautiful!  Where my family lives, Nepal is beautiful.  We have a farm, so there are always things to do.  We don't have much, but I think this is okay.  I love my family very much, and I don't think I would like the city.  I have seen the capital once, and there are so many problems.  Other kids my age just live in the streets.  I am scared for them."

"No.  You are not to work that part of the city anymore.  At least not for awhile.  They are no good!  They're sick and miserable.  And who knows where they've been...or what they've been into; who they've been with?  And besides, virgins are worth more.  No.  Go work somewhere else.  Away from the city altogether.  Make them promises.  Tell them anything; they'll believe it."

"Our struggle is great.  Nothing grows.  There is no rain.  The water we drink we have to boil first.  My sister is sick.  With nothing growing, we have very little milk, and very little to eat.  My brother found work making bricks in the city.  He comes home as much as he can with things he buys in the city to help."

"How many?"

"Thirteen."

"Good.  One more stop, and then we go back and get the others.  We leave for Dhangarhi tomorrow."

"If only there were something I could do to help like my brother.  I can read a little, but I would love to read well!  This can be of no help.  Our neighbors say I am beautiful, but I do not believe them.  And besides, out here, I will go unnoticed by anyone wealthy enough to help.  Wishful thinking.  I have to keep stripping jute.  I like this job.  Not because it's easy; it's not!  But, several of us often gather together to do it.  I like this, because I love the people I live around here."

"Stay here.  Stay with the truck.  We are going to drive on further...into the village.  You stay here and make sure nothing happens."

"I am so scared!  It seems like a nightmare.  It seems like another lifetime already.  As we were stripping jute, two nice-looking men with friendly faces came upon us.  They said they were from the city, and that a marriage was to be arranged.  That they were instructed to search the countryside for the most beautiful girl.  They were so kind to all of us, but as they had to be going, they said their search was complete.  That I was the girl they were looking for!  They don't even know me.  I wished to say goodbye to my family and friends, but they said we had to be going and that they could only choose one.  And that we'd be back soon.  So I went, hopeful that in this way I could help my family.  As we drove away from the others, we came to a stop beside a truck.  Another man stepped out and opened the back.  Everything changed.  No longer were they so nice.  No longer were there promises.  They slapped me and threatened me and forced me inside the truck.  Once inside I could see that I was not the only one they were searching for.  There were a dozen other girls about my age as scared as I was.  They locked us in, and as the truck started, I was so afraid that I couldn't even talk.  I felt like throwing up, but on an empty stomach, even this was hopeless."

"Off the truck!  Follow me."

"They stopped after what seemed like days of driving.  It was only hours.  We were forced into a dark building, and the doors were locked behind us.  Once inside, another nice-looking man told our captors to prepare for an early morning trip to Dhangarhi.  He then looked at all of us, and he grabbed one of the girls, slapped her, and drug her by the arm to a corner of the room.  After waving the other men over, they began violently undressing the girl.  Each of the men took turns raping and beating her.  They made us all watch.  And after they were done, they left the girl lying there, still alive, but barely.  As they went off to bed, the rest of us stood, fearful of who would be next."

"Pull over here.  Turn off the engine.  Be seated.  We'll be right with you."

"After a day of driving, we were asked to stop at a checkpoint.  We must have been close to Dhangarhi.  It wasn't long after the vehicle was stopped that the back of the truck was opened.  Two border guards stepped inside and began asking us questions.  Eventually, they asked us to step out of the truck.  Once outside, I could see our captors had been arrested.  Some other people asked us if we needed anything, where we were from, how long we'd been away from our villages and homes.  They were so nice, and I could tell they really cared about me and wanted to help.  I told them where I lived, and within hours, they had arragned for my safe return home.  I consider myself very fortunate."

This is not a true story, but it probably could just as well be.  The United States Department of State defines human trafficking as modern-day slavery, involving victims who are forced, defrauded or coerced into labor or sexual exploitation.  Annually, about 600,000 to 800,000 people—mostly women and children—are trafficked across national borders, which does not count millions trafficked within their own countries.  People are snared into trafficking by many means.  In some cases, physical force is used.  In other cases, false promises are made regarding job opportunities or marriages in foreign countries to entrap victims (Facts About Human Trafficking). 

Each year in Nepal, an estimated 10,000 girls are trafficked across the border into Indian brothels, where they are forced to become prostitutes. These girls range between ages 7 and 24, with an average age of 15. Most of the girls are poor, and come from villages, where they are lured by false marriages, or the promises of a job in the city. Many of them are sold by their families. They are usually processed through Kathmandu on their way to the Nepal-India border, where they face a very meager checkpoint. They and their traffickers are not required to show a passport, residence permit, or visa as they cross into India. When they reach their destination at a brothel in an Indian city, they quickly learn of their fate.  Most of these young girls are virgins, and virgins are more valuable to traffickers (the myth that having sex with a virgin or younger girl will cure HIV and other STDs is common).  Consequently, nearly all of these girls are forced to begin having sex with clients within a day of their arrival. Many are gang-raped and beaten to be initiated, and they are often held in cages.  Their torturous introduction is designed to ensure future compliance.  (Adapted from Tiny Hands International.org.  For more, read The Greatest Injustice)

Along the border between India and Nepal there are 26 official crossing points and an unknown number of unofficial ones.  It is across these borders where the estimated 10,000 Nepali women and children are trafficked each year.  Through what's known as border interception, Tiny Hands International is able to rescue many of these women and children via 10-15 stations across the 1600-mile Nepal-India border.

And, through their Women's Empowerment Center, Tiny Hands International is able to provide marginalized women with the ability to flourish in the male-dominated South Asian culture.  Through basic adult literacy teaching, general business training, specific skill training and a loan, this program provides women in Nepal, India and Bangladesh with hope.

Human trafficking is a serious and very real tragedy, not only in South Asia, but in more developed countries like Australia, Japan, and even the United States of America.  Between January 2008 and June 2010, federally funded task forces opened 2,515 suspected incidents of human trafficking for investigation.  389 incidents were confirmed to be human trafficking - 488 suspects and 527 victims, primarily labor- and sex-trafficking, 83% of the victims in sex trafficking incidents were identified as U.S. citizens, and 81% of the all human trafficking suspects were males (Bureau of Justice Statistics).

Unfortunately, these statistics don't go away.  Despite countless efforts to combat this tragedy, the problem persists.  Organizations and ministries like Tiny Hands International are doing all they can, but there is so much more to be done.  That's where you come in.  If it's hard for you to stomach that story, understand those statistics or stand for this behavior, then DON'T!

Come, take a stand and show your support on Saturday, June 25th at 7:00pm at the 4H Building on the Jefferson County Fairgrounds, Fairbury, Nebraska.  Tiny Hands International will be presenting, as well as offering merchandise, the proceeds of which go directly to helping stop human trafficking.  Following the presentation, there will be a showing of the movie Slumdog Millionaire* (concessions will be available, with those proceeds also going to combat human trafficking).  And the Pastor Steve Frazier will wrap the evening up with a brief message.

How will you respond when "over there" is in your own back yard?  When you can't turn off the television or put down the paper?  Don't miss this opportunity to make an impact!

*Slumdog Millionaire is rated R, so if you're trying to decide on whether or not to bring your kids or someone who is under the age of 17, please refer to The Parents Guide for Slumdog Millionaire on IMDb.

No comments:

Post a Comment